American Civil War Charlie Sheen Bonus Round
Here's my vote for the most creative midterm exam ever, from my friend Nick Proctor at Simpson College:
For my American Civil War midterm, the extra credit was a set of Charlie Sheen quotations. Students could match up to ten of them to appropriate Civil War leaders in particular circumstances. They then had to provide a brief explanation for each match. So, for example, a good answer for #10 would be: "Grant after the fall of Forts Henry and Donalson." Similarly, a good answer for #5 could be "Forrest while raiding in central Tennessee."
- I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.
- I don't sleep; I wait.
- "Can't" is the cancer of "happen."
- I'm a high priest Vatican warlock.
- I have one speed; I have one gear: GO!
- They're the best at what they do. I'm the best at what I do, and it is ON!
- I think my passion is misinterpreted as anger sometimes. And I don't think people are ready for the message that I'm delivering, and delivering with a sense of violent love.
- I'm here and I'm ready. They're not. Bring it.
- That we are to stand by the President right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
- I'm bi-winning. I win here. I win there.
- Life comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.
- Boom, crush. Night, losers. Winning, duh.
- Fame is empowering. My mistake was that I thought I would instinctively know how to handle it. But there's no manual, no training course.
- Here's the good news. If I realize that I'm insane, then I'm okay with it. I'm not dangerous insane.
- I have defeated this earthworm with my words. Imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists.
I invite NLT contributors to add their favorite pairings in the Comments section.
3:21 PM / October 19, 2011